Friday, March 21, 2008

Too many irons in the fire...maybe

I might have too many spinning projects in progress. The only one that worries me is that alpaca fleece I started spinning and haven't touched for possibly months.
The spinning is simple and absolutely monochromatic and the only texture is a little bumpiness from the carded fiber so as much as I am fully committed to finishing the spinning (or so I convince myself), I still need some variety especially after Camp Burton.
I spun and navajo plied Great Balls of Fire roving and I really love it. I love the colors. They appear a little more subtle indoors, definitely "guy colors". I would love a sweater but I don't have enough...not even for a vest.
I washed the swatch and the whole drape changed. Prior to washing, I thought I'd knitted it on too small needles. It was stiff and densely knitted. I now know it's an absolute must to wash those swatches, especially with handspun. I hate to think of all those unsatisfactory swatches I made and ditched the idea for the yarn because I neglected to wash the swatch.






The Crosspatch Creations was so much fun to spin and fast too because I spun it woolen. I opted for a two ply. I want 2 pounds of this stuff! In fact, I feel like making a promise to myself that I will never buy less than 2 pounds of fiber because everything I spin, I want to use to make a sweater.






I guess 2 pounds is not really a reasonable goal though because not stressing only the expense, I remind myself that it took me almost 3 months to finish Joe's sweater.
Yes, it's finally done! And I am pretty much pleased with it though I had a lot of trouble with the finishing. The crochet edging was very tough for me and hand sewing the zipper was so time consuming. I was stuck with purchasing a zipper that was too long and I chose to fold over the tops and stitch them down. I wasn't pleased with the result. It looks okay from the outside but I was afraid that the stiff ends would rub against Joe's neck and irritate his skin. My other option was to trim the zipper. I was nervous about the tape unraveling but I might have to do that if the zipper turns out to be a problem.
To console myself about not being able to buy 2 pounds of Crosspatch, I started blending fibers on the carder. At first, I ended up with many knitted swatches reminiscent of the 1980's. Finally I came up with something I liked.
It's camel down, cotton with silk noil. No, I won't have 2 pounds of this but maybe a pound to about a pound and a half. And it would be easy to put together another camel, cotton blend with a complementary silk noil if I end up feeling I must have something bigger tha a vest.
This was another swatch that changed from a tight stiff fabric into one with a wonderful hand to it. All due to just a quick wash.





I knitted this swatch right off the bobbin without finishing the yarn but I think it gives enough of an idea. Oh yeah.........I navajo plied it. I really don't have any reason why except all my bobbins are filled up with that alpaca. I know I really shouldn't continue on this way...but I might.
Truly by chance, I ended up as one of the applicants for a fiber show exhibition. I have been assured that even if we don't get accepted by the gallery, there will be a show either with another gallery or a show organized by our members. It really has shown me that it has been important to get out there and connect with other fiber people.
A talented potter, Mary Hosick took the photos for the application. We got some good ones and Mary was so sweet to give me a CD with the photos on it. She also added one of the photos on the CD label!

No comments: