Friday, April 18, 2008

On Ripping

I had spun up some Romney at the beginning of the year and knew I had enough for a vest but not the sweater the yarn told me it wanted to be. My attempts at matching the yarn with some wool from the same farm failed. I tried and tried and felt that my rather costly batch of fiber was dwindling in the sampling so I completely gave up the idea of a sweater in simple lines and in plain stockinette that would show off this unassuming chunky yarn.
A little vest knit on big needles seemed no big deal. In fact, I've ripped out my 3rd attempt, almost completed. It was a simple rustic vest from Vogue Chunky Knits.




I managed to completely mess up the shaping on the fronts so that they didn't match by any stretch of the imagination. I could have ripped out one but it was obvious that the end result was going to fall short of my expectation which was very modest...just a rustic vest..something I might chop wood in or throw on over my pajamas when I shut up the ducks for the night.
Here's a shot of the vest in the early stages. The wool is actually a deep dusky brown.



I am discouraged after 3 almost complete vests!
I think I might get a little cocky when I'm doing something easy and quick................

No comments: