Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Blocking the Hanging Garden Stole..Finally!!!

After 9 months of knitting...off and on, it's true, it's finally being blocked.

Unfortunately, the pretty stripes are not part of the stole...just the towel lying beneath it.
I have to confess that I'm pretty lax about getting everything just right during the blocking. I just tell myself.......next time I wash it.
I left some ends to weave in to fix after the stole is dried.
I'll get a photo of the stole once it's dried. It's a lovely lambswool/cashmere blend from Makalu Yarns in Canada. The design is one of Sivia Harding's. I bought it from Knitpicks but I just looked and can't seem to find it for sale anymore.
I have been spinning too.
This 8 oz. of baby alpaca top from Little Barn in Alabama, my new favorite fiber source.

A mossy green, in person.




I'm planning a 3 ply..hoping for about sock weight yarn. I just bought this beautiful book.

A collection of historic designs from the Selbu District in Norway. All mittens and gloves. Traditionally worked in black and white but I see possibilities for using handspun in whatever colors are on hand.
I snapped up the book because it's published by the author. At this particular point in time, I imagine the number of copies is small and it could go out of print more quickly than other books.
I usually take my time purchasing books. Like this one:


I have this out from the library for the second time. It's a wonderful book and I know I'll have to buy it eventually.








I spun up half of the 8 ounces of baby camel/merino blend and got this:

About 220 yards of 2 ply of about fingering weight. I spun it up on the double treadle Babe I bought off craig's list last December. I never really got a chance to try it out. The flyer seems to have something rough that the fiber catches on. I don't think it affect the yarn. It's just terribly annoying. I switched the flyer with the one from my single treadle and got through it all. I like the yarn and will spin up the rest of the fiber.


Most of all, I am so happy to actually have finished a piece of knitting! I swore I wouldn't do any large lace projects but I'll probably start another because Sivia Harding is doing a Gothic Leaf Stole knitalong. I plan on taking my time with it. Let's face it, taking my time would probably happen anyway without me planning it.

No comments: