Sunday, June 29, 2008

What a month!

This has been a challenging month but I've made it through. I had an eye injury that pretty much filled the whole month with its presence. At times, I could use my eyes but often I just couldn't. But still spinning and knitting happened. Worsted spinning because I don't have to look at my hands and the fiber and stockinette knitting for the same reason.
I spun half the yarn for this vest in the thick of the pain and continued to plan and knit the vest up to its present state.



The darker yarn was spun earlier this year from a Crosspatch Creations batt. The lighter bluish gray is a drum carded blend of Carol Lee's Brown Sheep wool with a little silk thrown in. I spun this rather badly and plied it even worse but knitted up, it seems to work.
Changing factors like the ability to see well and sit comfortably resulted in a different yarn and a different garment. It opened me up to other possibilities. I don't know if I'll like this finished vest but I do like its fabric. I really wish I had had enough yardage for a drapey sweater or a blanket but I combined materials in a different way and it has given me ideas for future experiments with color and fiber.



I also managed to knit and plan this felted bag. The ready made handles are from Grayson E. The yarn was from a time when I began to get the hang of woolen spun singles and I was saving it for a project just like this. I'm happy with it.




The camel/silk scarf grows slowly. I felt the need to block it a bit to see if I really want to continue. I do.








And I'm playing with the idea of 2 plys. I've been pretty much only using them for lace, having heard that 3 plys are better for general knitting but I feel the need to break away from constraints for awhile even if I find out first hand why there are rules of thumb in the first place.
Here is some Louet merino/silk that I keep sampling. I have two pounds but if I keep sampling, I will be way below that mark and will reencounter the ever present question, "Will there be enough for a sweater?"

No comments: