Monday, January 29, 2007

Madrona

The Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat was wonderful. I elected to take only one and a half days of classes and it was just the right amount.
I didn't hang out and look around very much but I couldn't help noticing the most beautifully knitted lace shawls some people were wearing. Wow!
The marketplace was bigger this year and had some great vendors. I headed straight for the fiber. I visited Crown Mountain's booth and felt in the mood for a little color. I grabbed this sunshine bright roving and then thought better and chose a more subtle medley of colors.









It ended up looking like this on the bobbin.


I'm still trying to get better at navajo plying. I might have to take a class.












I enjoyed the silk spinning class with Paula Shull on Saturday. We spun over 30 different kinds of silk and silk blend preparations. I tried to be very organized with recording the samples but got sidetracked early on so my documentation ends at the silk noils.








I really enjoyed the thrown silk waste. Now I have to try to find a supplier. I thought Little Barn had some but it seems that's Sari Silk ends.







Spinning Down Fibers with Judith MacKenzie McCuin was as expected just wonderful. We had some beautifully prepared bison roving. Precious stuff. We spun quite a bit of yak and some cashmere and a cashmere blend. I like the yak alot. Oh yes, we also got a treat of some Mongolian baby camel down.
I rushed to the Marketplace at the very last part of the day to return to Mount Hood View Farm who had some tempting Pygora fiber. I spoke with Kristin Gustafson Saturday and her fiber was calling to me. I resisted but finally convinced myself that her Pygora was definitely humanely raised fiber and if I ever need to spin for someone that will only wear wool or hair from compassionate and responsible farmers, Kristin certainly fits the bill. Talk about rationalization, right? But truly as I continue to think about it, I really would like to support small fiber farms. I know quite a few make very little money..sometimes feeling lucky if they break even. For some, it's just love of the animals and their fiber. I think Kristin might fall into that category.


I know...10.00 an ounce. I think a little goes a long way. It says dehaired but there are some stray guard hairs to pick out here and there. But oh my, I understand why. Judith handed around a bag full of cashmere down before dehairing. It gave me an idea of how much work is involved. I can't think of anything to compare it to in order to give you an idea as well.
I know that Carolyn Smith of Viva Yarns uses the dryer to get rid of the guard hairs from her silver fox. I wonder if it might work with other fiber.
And the folks at Madrona and the vendors always have little bags of treats for us. One of the most unusual things was Earl Grey Tea Candy from Churchmouse Yarns. I show only a small bit of the generous bag we each received. It's surprisingly tasty.

No comments: