Tuesday, January 23, 2007

This & That & Mary Ann's Hat

My friend Mary Ann received her alpaca hat today. She likes it but it seems it's a little too big. It went to her without the earflaps because I didn't want her head to be cold all winter while she waited for me to get them knitted. I'm hoping I can remedy the size when I go visit it the spring.


Weaving is alot like work! I don't like or dislike it yet. It just reminds me of work. I have the table loom home with me now. I don't have a place for it yet but I'm thinking that I'll just move it onto my bed when I have time to weave. I have quite a bit to do with the warp this week and I'm nervous about not getting it done. It's a very busy week for me and this weekend is Madrona Fiber Arts (yay!).

I went to buy a little tool today at Weaving Works in Seattle. It's a combo heddle threader and sleying tool.











Of course, I had to make it worth the trip and I bought some merino roving called Hollyberry. I've never seen this one before.








And a Wild Fibers magazine. I did dip into it on my way home and read the cover story on Mongolian herders and discovered that a good part of the article involved Nancy Shand and her company Nomad Yarns. I had a very long conversation with Nancy last spring. We were thinking of possibly offering her yarns for a group buy at K-World-Tog but we ended up talking about almost everything else. I loved speaking with her. She's extremely engaging.







I also was pleasantly surprised by the Fleece Artist special offer of Country Mo in Brick that I received. I am not a handpainted yarn fan. I know... I've been experimenting with handpainted roving and navajo plying to keep the color sequence. It's kind of a fascination but I am beginning to appreciate and maybe even discern beauty a little bit but when I go to the yarn store, I head straight for the solid colors. But I love this stuff!








I want to knit it up and see if I really do love it.

No comments: