Tuesday, January 16, 2007

More Snow

I'm snowed in again today so I fooled around with wool.
I found a big bag of what I had originally decided were 2 dye experiments gone awry. Now the idea of using one color then another and navajo plying them appeals to me.















I did a little sample and because I had just read an article in an old Spin Off stating the navajo plying needs less twist then a 2 ply, I held back too much and ended up with a mini skein twisting to the left. If I'm remembering correctly, this means I needed to put more S twist in. In this case, that's more twist in my plying. The look of my wool seems to confirm this.









I knitted up a sample even though the yarn was hugely unbalanced just to see if it was what I wanted. It is pretty much though I could see adding another color to the equation.








I'm slowly getting used to the Ashford Joy. I have been spinning almost always with my bobbin zigzagged on the Babe and its been very difficult to just rely on the brake band for take up especially when I want to go very fine or when I try to spin baby alpaca on the Joy. The take up seemed too much even with the brake band loosened as much as I could manage and still get the yarn to pull in.
Because the flyer hooks are on opposite sides of the flyer, lacing the flyer seems pretty impossible. I did try this today. Hooking the yarn on the flyer hook I want to use as normal but then going up one hook through the inside and coming back around. I spun the merino today that way and it worked fine. I would imagine that as I approach the other end of the bobbin, I can reverse the manoever or figure out something that will work as well.


















My weaving class went very well. The teacher seems very good. All I did was wrap half of the warp I'll need for my project.











The project is kitchen towels. I chose these colors for them. The selection wasn't very wide but I'm still happy with the colors. It should be interesting to see how they work up. I don't have a weaver's eye so I'll just have to see. I'm calling the green, "my wild card".


No comments: